Tim Ferriss is not associated or affiliated with PodcastNotes in any way. All notes are independently created by PodcastNotes and do not imply any sponsorship or endorsement by, or affiliation with, Mr. Ferriss.
- Checkout Tim’s Podcast Page
Dr. Dominic “Dom” D’Agostino is an assistant professor in the Department of Molecular Pharmacology and Physiology at the University of South Florida Morsani College of Medicine, and a senior research scientist at the Institute for Human and Machine Cognition (IHMC).
Why people frown so much on the ketogenic diet?
- Most people don’t like it because of a lack of education, even in the nutrition branch.
- The diet can help a lot with overcoming type II diabetes and obesity.
- It’s not really feasible for most because there is too much restriction.
- The diet contains a lot of saturated fat, which scares away most people.
- Doctors are not really educated on nutrition, because it doesn’t fit in their busy schedule.
- Nutrition is the pillar of good health, but we lack studies.
- The studies are hard to do and really expensive.
- Without research, there’s no evidence for doctors.
- 10% of the population could benefit from a ketogenic diet.
- 40% of the population could follow a modified ketogenic diet that keeps the ketones in the blood elevated.
What can you use the diet for?
- There are many applications for athletes.
- It’s not optimal for every endurance athlete.
- People over 40 would respond really well.
How much protein intake do you need?
- It takes1 to 1.5g per kg per day to stay in nutritional ketosis.
- Too much protein causes the ketones to decrease.
- If you have a fast metabolism (ectomorph), then you need 2g per kg per day.
- A typical ketogenic diet has a 4:1 ratio, so 4 parts fats, 1 part of protein and carbs.
- In a modified Atkins diet, the amount of protein is increased to 25 to 35%.
- Eric Kossoff is the leader of the modified diet for people with seizures.
Impact of ketogenic diet on type I diabetes
- Dom has a student in his class with type I diabetes.
- That student found that they were perks to being on the ketogenic diet:
- There was a lack of blood glucose fluctuation compared to a high carb diet.
- He was able to reduce his insulin level, while maintaining his weight.
- His insulin sensitivity increased, which protects against hypoglycaemia
- George Cahill induced ketogenic starvation to prove that patients became insensitive to hypoglycaemia.
- It eliminates some downsides of type I diabetes in the short and long-term.
- The Ketogenic Diet for Type 1 Diabetes is a study that supports this diet.
Ketogenic breath analyzer versus blood testing
- The Abbott Precision Xtra Glucose Monitor and the Freestyle Precision Neo Glucose Meter are the best choices on a budget.
- Ketonix Breath Ketone Test Monitor is useful for seizures, but needs more testing.
- The breath analyzer is non-invasive and perfect for kids.
- Looking at other health markers such as oxidative stress, oxygen toxicity and gut microbiome could be possible with a breath analyzer.
- Saliva ketone measurement system could be developed.
How ketosis is affected by high altitude?
- Ketosis increases the brain’s blood flow, so it could inverse the negative aspects of altitude.
- Altitude increases intracranial pressure, which is countered by ketosis.
- Ketones create energy more easily and efficiently.
- ATP hydrolysis also increases when ketones interact with our body.
- Some researches to support those changes:
- How Wasting Is Saving: Weight Loss at Altitude Might Result from an Evolutionary Adaptation.
- Peter Attia’s lecture at IHMC: An Advantaged Metabolic State: Human Performance, Resilience and Health
- Rebecca Rusch’s and Patrick Sweeney’s Climb of the Kilimanjaro for World Bicycle Relief without using any Acetazolamide (Diamox).
- Ketosis can increase performance results in altitude training.
Differences for females who want to try the ketosis diet
- It’s different for females, because they’re more reactive to low blood sugar level.
- It is recommended to slowly change your diet.
- You can also take exogenous ketones to reduce the glucose withdrawal effect.
- Don’t go into calorie restriction right away, it creates fainting, irritability and light-headiness.
- Don’t be afraid to eat fat and eat a surplus of calories.
- Women need at least 100g to 200g of fat a day.
- Overtraining can cause a suppression of hormones such as T3.
Can a female obtain a body fat index lower than 10%?
- A female’s normal physiological functions need around 8 to 12% of body fat.
- Dom doesn’t advice against going lower than 10% body fat, because it creates functional hypothalamic amenorrhea.
- A high level of fat is recommended to keep menstruations.
- Quest Nutrition MCT Powder is a good option for ketogenic athletes.
Can ketosis affect the microbiome?
- There are many variations of ketogenic diet.
- You can train your microbiome to adapt to a ketogenic diet.
- Some bacteria thrive on fat.
- Probiotics, prebiotics, fermented food, green vegetables, VLS3 supplement and cinnamon would be helpful.
- A diverse diet diversifies the bacteria.
- Here are some lectures on diet and microbiome:
- Alessio Fasano’s lecture at IHMC: The Gut Is Not Like Las Vegas: What Happens in the Gut Does Not Stay in the Gut
- The Gut’s Microbiome Changes Rapidly with Diet
Should you count your calories?
- Yes, if you don’t, you’ll gain weight.
- Some ketogenic foods are really rich: nuts, sour cream, etc.
- The volume of food is smaller, because fat is higher in calories.
- Fat controls hunger and you don’t get a “sugar crash”.
- Coconut milk broccoli soup before dinner can help with hunger.
Nutritional tricks to eat healthy at conventions and public events
- You can always find a salad and add butter or olive oil.
- Pack sardines and oysters in your bag.
- Macadamia nuts are also easy to find.
- Frequent travelers would benefit from this diet due to the high amount of energetic foods.
Do stimulants help achieve ketosis?
- 100mg of caffeine is perfect, but 200mg spikes the blood sugar level.
- Caffeine is an antioxidant, it immobilizes fatty acids, it’s an appetite suppressor and it can improve liver functions.
- Ephedrine hydrochloride could aid the release of fat in adipose cells and enhance the beta-oxidation of fat in the liver.
- 25mg of ephedrine hydrochloride helps the physiological effects.
- Don’t use amphetamines.
- Modafinil can be a good idea for people with sleeping disorders.
What about vegans and vegetarians?
- The Charlie Foundation for Ketogenic Therapies help vegetarians and vegans create their ketogenic diet with MCT oil.
- KetoDiet app
- The main problems are the protein and essential amino acids intake.
- Hemp, rice and peas can help.
- MRM Veggie Elite is a protein powder, which you can mix with avocado, MTC oil and coconut milk.
Should I be concerned if my LDL level increases?
- If it stays elevated for a few months, yes.
- It can be caused by infections or stress.
- If you aren’t restricting your calories, you’re more likely to have a high LDL level.
- The Ketogenic Diet: A Treatment for Children and Others with Epilepsy recommends a dairy based ketogenic diet, which can elevate LDL.
- The important thing is to keep your inflammation indicator, your HDL and triglycerides low.
- The ketogenic diet might not be for you.
Is it dangerous to use ketone salts?
- The products don’t just use sodium, but calcium, magnesium, potassium and sodium.
- Some are critical of the use of isomer in certain products.
- Metabolism of (R,S) -1,3-butanediol acetoacetate esters, potential parenteral and enteral nutrients in conscious pigs.
- No proof that the salts are dangerous or ineffective.
- Products available:
- Some think the R antimere is the effective isomer.
- 1,3 – butanediol acetoacetate protects the neurons from oxygen toxicity.
- No scientist or toxicologist would say that ketone salts used in reasonable amounts are dangerous.
What about fatty acid deficiency disorder?
- MADD stands for multiple acyl coa dehydrogenase deficiency, which causes acidosis, glycaemia, weakness, enlargement of the liver and heart.
- It can be effectively treated with racemic beta hydroxide salts.
- The dose of ketone salts doesn’t have a dangerous amount of sodium.
- Even ketone salts taken in high dosages maintain normal liver and kidney functions.
Does Dom really support Kegenix?
- The product contains an unusual high amount of carbs.
- Fat is a better vehicle than carbs.
- The molecules it contains elevate the ketones in a moderate way and they can create gastrointestinal discomfort.
- A blended mix is better.
Which products does he recommend?
- The Pruvit has a higher concentration of sodium and has a good taste.
- Kegenix has a bitter taste and is really strong.
- ForeverGreen is good.
- By using a blend of product, his friend was able to maintain the same level of physical activity with 5% to 8% less oxygen.
- He tests a lot of products.
- His go-to product is the Quest Nutrition MCT Powder.
- He eats WildPlanet sardines and Crown Prince Natural Smoked Oysters because they carry fewer toxins than tuna.
- Fire & Kettle bone broth.
- Civation Xtend Perform, which contains leucine, valine and other important amino acids.
- D3 vitamins: if you’re not in the sun often.
- Melatonin: a sleep hormone.
- Idebenone: a mitochondrial antioxidant.
- It can help in cases of Friedreich’s ataxia.
- Magnesium Citrate, Magnesium Chloride, Magnesium Glycinate to reduce muscle cramping.
- Gaba, which has a calming effect.
Are exogenous ketones only useful in a state of ketosis, or would they benefit anyone?
- If glucose is low in a cell, the body will use ketones for energy.
- The liver produces ketones, but doesn’t use them.
- Ketones can change the insulin’s response by two methods:
- By creating more receptors.
- By enhancing insulin sensitivity.
- Creates a decrease in hepatic glycogenolysis.
Can exogenous ketones combined with a low-carb diet, but not a ketogenic diet, still give some or all of the benefits of a strict ketogenic diet?
- Yes: they tried a single dose 30 minutes before a change in oxygen level, which gave 600% more neuroprotection for 10 minutes up to 1 hour.
- That experiment was done with an animal eating a high-carb diet with ketones supplements and fasting.
- A low-carb diet on it’s own has many benefits, including reducing metastatic cancer.
This podcast is brought to you Gymnastic Bodies. This is the training system that I am most obsessed with at the moment. Coach Sommer appeared on a previous episode of the podcast, which turned into a sleeper hit. He is the former USA national team coach for men’s gymnastics and creator of this bodyweight-based training system. I’m not easily impressed, and I have been completely blown away by the sophistication and the elegance of his programming.
I have been using Gymnastic Bodies for just a few months now, and I already feel more flexible and stronger than I have in years. Check out GymnasticBodies.com/tim, where you’ll find the Fundamentals course for diagnosing your weakest areas, those you can tweak for fast improvements. It is incredible. Take a look at GymnasticBodies.com/tim for more details and a large discount.
This podcast is also brought to you by Four Sigmatic. I reached out to these Finnish entrepreneurs after a very talented acrobat introduced me to one of their products, which blew my mind (in the best way possible). It is mushroom coffee featuring chaga. It tastes like coffee, but there are only 40 milligrams of caffeine, so it has less than half of what you would find in a regular cup of coffee. I do not get any jitters, acid reflux, or any type of stomach burn. It put me on fire for an entire day, and I only had half of the packet.
People are always asking me what I use for cognitive enhancement — right now, this is the answer. You can try it right now by going to foursigmatic.com/tim and using the code “Tim” to get 20 percent off your first order. If you are in the experimental mindset, I do not think you’ll be disappointed.