Check out Naval’s Episode Page & Show Notes
- The Schelling point is a game theory concept made famous by Thomas Schelling in his book, The Strategy of Conflict (which Naval recommends)
- It addresses the question – How do you get people who cannot communicate with each other to coordinate?
- For example – if two Americans wanted to meet, but could not communicate any more information, they’d utilize social norms to converge onto a Schelling Point
- So perhaps the best chance for the meeting would be at midnight on New Years in New York City, somewhere like Grand Central or the Empire State Building
- A simple example:
- Imagine two companies are competing heavily with each other
- Let’s say the price fluctuates between $8 and $12 for whatever the service they offer is – don’t be surprised if they converge to $10 without ever talking to each other