mind pump male fitness myths

The 5 Most Overrated Supplements – Mind Pump

Check out the Mind Pump Episode Page & Show Notes

Key Takeaways (The 5 Most Overrated Supplements)

  • 1) Branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs)
  • 2) Fat Burners
  • 3) Nitric oxide boosters
  • 4) Testosterone boosters
  • 5) Collagen protein 

Supplements Mentioned (Besides the Overrated Ones)

Intro

  • Mind Pump consists of Sal Di Stefano (IG: @mindpumpsal), Adam Schafer (IG: @mindpumpadam) and Justin Andrews (IG:@mindpumpjustin)
    • The trio have 50 years of combined fitness experience as personal trainers

First, Know This

  • “Diet, exercise, and lifestyle make up 98% of pretty much any result you’re gonna get; the other 2% comes from effective supplements” Sal Di Stefano

Most Overrated Supplement #1: Branched-Chain Amino Acids (BCAAs)

  • Sure, a small percentage of the population might find them useful, particularly those working out twice a day and having a hard time hitting their protein intake
  • The BCAAs are leucine, isoleucine, and valine (they’re all essential amino acids—your body can’t produce them on its own)
    • Complete protein sources (i.e., meat, milk, tofu, soy, etc.) contain these amino acids in high amounts
  • “Because BCAAs are essential, if your overall protein intake is low, supplementing will probably yield you some benefits” Sal Di Stefano
    • If you’re vegan, for instance, it might be a good idea to supplement
  • “If your protein intake is relatively high [0.6-1.0 grams of protein per pound of body weight], branched-chain amino acid supplements are a complete and utter waste of money”Sal Di Stefano
  • Also: too many BCAAs can cause competition for critical neurotransmitters in the brain, leading many to feel depressed and tired

Most Overrated Supplement #2: Fat Burners

  • Fat burners contain ephedrine, caffeine, and other stimulants that don’t cause fat loss per se, but rather suppress appetite
    • Also, the excess caffeine causes more twitching/non-exercise movement throughout the day, leading to more calorie burn
  • Given the above, a fat burner can help you lose weight, but because you’re likely to build up a high tolerance to the stimulants, you’ll feel like CRAP after you stop taking it
  • Also: Excess stimulant use causes cortisol (the stress hormone) to rise, leading to muscle loss

Most Overrated Supplement #3: Nitric Oxide Boosters

  • For background, nitric oxide is a compound that relaxes blood vessels and improves blood flow
  • Nitric oxide supplements are marketed to help people get a better “pump” in the gym by increasing blood nitric oxide levels. However, there’s no proof an exogenous supplement can increase blood levels of nitric oxide. 
  • If you’re trying to get a better pump in the gym, just drink a half-gallon of water a few hours before your workout

Most Overrated Supplement #4: Testosterone Boosters

  • “What people don’t understand is that, if you already have normal levels of testosterone, a testosterone booster won’t put you above your normal range. It’s a waste of money for somebody whose testosterone is already normal.” Adam Schafer
    • That said, if you have low testosterone, a booster might help (although the effect likely won’t be permanent—after a few months, your body will re-adapt)
  • The BEST ways to boost your testosterone:
    • Eat whole foods
    • Strength train
    • Get adequate sleep
    • Minimize stress
  • Many people claim that testosterone boosters increase libido (but that doesn’t mean they’re increasing testosterone) 

Most Overrated Supplement #5: Collagen Protein

  • Collagen protein comes from collagen sources (i.e., tendon, ligaments, bones, etc.)
    • Many claim it improves skin, hair, and nail health, but it only does so in people eating low protein diets—ANY protein source would do the same thing 
  • Similar to BCAAs, if your protein intake is adequate, collage protein doesn’t do anything special
  • If you’re looking to increase your protein intake with a supplement, go with whey or egg protein, not collagen—these protein sources have superior amino acid profiles
MInd Pump : , , , , , , , ,
Notes By MMiller

More Notes on these topics

Top Insights and Tactics

Don't Miss Out on the Best Ideas From the World's Best Podcasts

Get Healthier, Wealthier and Happier in Just 5 Minutes with the Podcast Notes newsletter

No Thanks