mind pump strength training

1427: Don’t Make These 6 Bulking Mistakes | Mind Pump

Key Takeaways

  • Bulking doesn’t just mean eating anything and everything you want
  • It’s easy to ignore overall health when bulking: if you are bloated and having digestive issues, you won’t perform well
  • if you don’t train properly, you’ll just pack on fat without gaining strength
  • Meal prepping and eating whole foods are just as important in bulking as they are in losing weight
  • Bulking goal: gain lean body mass, minimize fat, and gaining strength – you want to be stronger at the end of a bulk session than when you started
  • The scale doesn’t tell you everything you need to know – it’s important to measure lean muscle gain

Introduction

The Mind Pump hosts are Sal Di Stefano (IG: @mindpumpsal), Adam Schafer (IG: @mindpumpadam) and Justin Andrews (IG: @mindpumpjustin).

In this episode, hosts Sal, Adam & Justin detail the six most common mistakes people make while trying to bulk and how to gain muscle without the fat.

Bulking Myths

  • People think bulking means you can eat as much food as you want and quality doesn’t matter
  • Most people think bulking is easy because you are trying to gain weight versus lean out
  • Bulking is more complex than just eating more calories
  • It’s easy to ignore overall health when bulking: if you are bloated and having digestive issues, you won’t perform well
  • In the search for calories, people often eat too many grams of carbohydrates and not enough protein
  • Consuming too many calories of saturated fats and processed foods will probably make you will lethargic and cause digestive problems
  • Just because weight is going up on the scale, doesn’t mean bulk is successful
  • Bodyweight fluctuates regularly because of water retention, sodium, etc. – don’t be a slave to the scale and assume you lost/gained muscle
  •  Overapplying intensity without good programming

Bulking Tips

  • This is a great time to switch to bulk while you’re probably consuming more calories anyways
  • Gaining muscle is a slow process, gaining fat is easy
  • You can gain lean body mass from whole foods even if you don’t have the calories
  • 80% of the time you should be consuming whole, natural foods; the other 20% can be less healthy
  • Alternative strategy: if you can use whole foods to hit your protein goal early in the day, supplement with less healthy foods to reach your calorie goal
  • The goal should be to consume whole foods, even protein shakes should be an emergency food
  • Hack: start your day with high protein to front-load the day – eat extra eggs, use leftover protein from the previous dinner in an omelet  
  • After 3-4 weeks of bulking, take a few days and stay at a slight deficit  
  • Hydrostatic weight is the most accurate way to track muscle gain
  • Next most accurate, tape measure waist (for men) and hips (for women)
  • Shoot for 1LB of body fat for every 2LB of muscle
  • Make meal prep easy: Ground beef, chicken thighs, rice

The 6 Bulking Mistakes

  • Mistake 1: Consuming too much junk food to hit calories but ignoring whole foods
  • Mistake 2: Not tracking and hitting protein
  • Mistake 3: If you stay in surplus too long (e.g, 3-5 months) your body will adapt to high calories and you will gain fat and look “skinny fat”
  • Mistake 4: Being married to the scale
  • Mistake 5: Not meal prepping
  • Mistake 6: Don’t just train hard, train properly – strength should be increasing
MInd Pump : , , , , ,
Notes By Maryann

More Notes on these topics

Top Insights and Tactics From

31 Best Podcasts of All Time

FREE when you join over 12,000 subscribers to the
Podcast Notes newsletter

No Thanks