- The assumptions of science are limiting because scientists have a set of ontological processes that guide them
- “People don’t lie to you about who they are – they lie to themselves in your presence.” – Dr. Lisa Feldman Barrett
- A good writer knows how to tell concisely tell the story without harming its validity
- The majority of people are capable of doing bad things – little things can shift someone’s trajectory and take it on a completely different path
- Humans have a propensity for kindness but tend to direct it towards their own “tribe” or community
- Variation offers the best likelihood for species survival
- Our evolution is not limitless – we are bound by the finite possibilities of the planet on which we live that interacts with our genes and bodies
- People don’t just have one identity and oneself – our brain pulls from experiences based on the situation
Lisa Feldman Barrett, Ph.D. is a neuroscientist, psychologist, and author. Dr. Barrett’s research focuses on the origin of emotions from both a psychology and neuroscience perspective. Her current work involves understanding the psychological construct of emotion, aging, and associated changes in the human brain, influences on the perception of emotion, and sex differences in emotion.
In this episode of the Lex Fridman Podcast, Lex and guest Lisa Feldman Barrett (@LFeldmanBarrett) cover a wide range of topics from falling in love, the writing process, the evolution of the human brain, and consciousness.
To be your best self, you need to understand the origin of emotions from both a psychology and neuroscience perspective. Why do we love? Why good people do evil things? How to master your mind. Lisa Feldman Barrett shows us how with Lex Fridman.
Get Access to the rest of this exclusive post, ad-free browsing and much much more by signing up as a Premium Member, learn more here
So many podcasts, so little time.
- Podcast Notes Premium pulls out the signal from the noise so you can save time and learn more.
- Premium members get unlimited access to Notes and Collections.
- Collections integrate the key information on the most important aspects of life, business, and health.
- They also provide a comprehensive set of lessons from the world’s greatest minds (Huberman Lab, Naval, Elon, Chamath, and many more).
- With Podcast Notes Premium, you get unlimited Podcast Notes browsing (over 1,000 notes since 2015), plus 100% ad-free content across all platforms.
- You’ll also get early exclusive Notes on podcasts before they are published even!
- Additional benefits include limited edition Podcast Notes magnet/stickers, entry into the Podcast Notes Premium community, priority Podcast Notes episode requests, and access to the Podcast Notes email archives (which contain every weekly email since 2015).
Get access to Podcast Notes Premium today!