#1788 – Mr. Beast | Joe Rogan Experience

Check out The Joe Rogan Experience episode page

Key Takeaways

  • Bet on yourself! Mr. Beast reinvests every single dollar he makes back into his content or charity.
    • He would feel hypocritical if he was getting rich while simultaneously running a philanthropy program
  • When the group makes a mistake, the group learns from the mistake
    • Daily Masterminds – Mr. Beast’s group of dropouts that talked YouTube strategy every single day for 1000 days straight
    • When you work alone, you have to make every single mistake yourself
    • Mentorship and peer collaboration is the key to exponential growth, the best knowledge is efficient knowledge
  • All MrBeast videos are dubbed in other languages
    • Less than 10% of the world speaks English, which leaves 90% of the world that can’t enjoy your content
    • This content strategy can expand your reach exponentially
  • The video with 30,000,000 views usually didn’t put in 30x the effort of a video with 1,000,000 views – It’s all about the idea!
    • Mr. Beast has a Google Doc with thousands of ideas–200 of them have easy viral potential. But, he’s selective on the ideas to execute.
    • Quality > Quantity – “It’s much easier to get 5,000,000 views on 1 video than to get 100,000 views on 50 videos” – Mr. Beast
  • “You have to find what you love. If you find what you love and you obsess over it day after day for a decade, you’re going to achieve some form of success. If you don’t truly love it, you’re going to quit way before you get that compound growth and ultra-levels of success.” – Mr. Beast

Intro

  • Jimmy “Mr. Beast” Donaldson (MrBeast, @MrBeast) is one of the most successful YouTubers in history. He joins JRE to discuss his YouTube journey, how to generate ideas and viral content strategy. This is a must-read for creators!
  • Host: Joe Rogan (@joerogan)

How Mr. Beast Got Started

  • Mr. Beast started content creation when he was 11 (he’s now 23)
  • The first video he ever made was a hack for a game called Battle Pirates…got 20,000 views right off the bat
    • “That was the best thing that could have ever happened to me, I was hooked from day one” – Mr. Beast
    • Feels blessed to find what he loved at a young age
  • Started by making $1/day on YouTube, always reinvested his earnings
    • Saved up to buy a microphone, then a computer, and more equipment
    • Still reinvests every dollar he makes today into his content and charity
  • Mom’s ultimatum: move out or go to community college
    • Pretended to go to community college, but spent all his time creating and editing videos–getting straight 0s on his schoolwork. He was never interested in school.
    • “The clock had started because once my mom found out, I’d be screwed” – Mr. Beast
    • Finally had a $20,000 month and broke the news to his mom, she still had her doubts

Daily Masterminds

  • Daily Masterminds – Group of high school and college dropouts that talked YouTube strategy every single day for 1000 days straight
    • “Somehow I found these other four lunatics” – Mr. Beast
    • Some days, Mr. Beast would join the skype call at 7 am and get off at 10 pm, then do it again tomorrow
    • “I have hyper-obsession and I love it, you give it enough time and anyone can solve [YouTube]” – Mr. Beast
    • Mentorship and peer collaboration is the key to exponential growth, the best knowledge is efficient knowledge
  • Thinktank examples: How often do camera angles cut in videos that get millions of views? How do brightness levels of thumbnails affect clicks?
    • Micro-analyzed the entire YouTube platform
  • When the group makes a mistake, the group learns from the mistake
    • When you work alone, you have to make every single mistake yourself

Idea Generation

  • The video with 30,000,000 views usually didn’t put in 30x the effort of a video with 1,000,000 views – It’s all about the idea!
    • Mr. Beast has a Google Doc with thousands of ideas–200 of them have easy viral potential
    • There’s never a lack of MrBeast video ideas, it’s a matter of feasible execution
  • Mr. Beast uses a word generation strategy for brainstorming ideas
    • Dog: “I adopted 100 dogs” or “I gave a dog $1000 worth of dog treats”
  • “When I intake inspiration and I see what pops inside my head, that’s been my most effective way to come up with ideas” – Mr. Beast
    • He’s even used lucid dreaming as a source of inspiration
  • The idea has to be well executed and the content has to be high quality
    • “I have no problem killing a video even if we’ve spent a million dollars on it” – Mr. Beast
    • Quality > Quantity – “It’s much easier to get 5,000,000 views on one video than to get 100,000 views on 50 videos” – Mr. Beast

MrBeast Dubbed for the World

  • All MrBeast videos are dubbed in other languages
    • Less than 10% of the world speaks English, which leaves 90% of the world that can’t enjoy your content
  • Hires local celebrities to do the voice dubbing, they love it!
    • The same guy who dubs Mr. Beast in Spanish is also dubbed Spider-Man
    • Will be using a famous anime voice actor for an upcoming Japanese dubbing, Mr. beast knows it will be a hit
  • Now offering dubbing as a service through Unilingo
    • Any YouTube channel can now reach their non-English speaking audience

MrBeast Main YouTube Channel

  • Mr. Beast reinvests every single dollar he makes back into his content or charity
    • Sometimes he even runs out of money and needs to take out a loan
  • Many of the videos on the main channel do not turn a profit
    • Supplements profits from the react and gaming channels so he can lose money on the main channel
  • MrBeast channel has no intention of going independent
    • All roads point to YouTube – “Instead of thinking about building my own platform, I can think about building businesses and leveraging my audience off of YouTube” – Mr. Beast
    • The grind doesn’t stop, Mr. Beast wants to do YouTube for at least the next 10 years – “Why would I not want to be the biggest YouTuber on the platform?” – Mr. Beast
  • I Bought A Private Island
    • Accidently bought an island with no sand, had to import sand in to make a beach
    • Took a major loss on this video
  • $456,000 Squid Game In Real Life!
    • The most expensive video he’s ever created, over $4 million
    • Had to hop on the trend while it was hot, so production had to be quick
  • I Ran A Marathon In The World’s Largest Shoes
    • Ran (walked) a marathon in size 40 shoes
    • Each shoe was five pounds
  • The MrBeast channel is always growing, hit his DMs if you’re interested in content production!

MrBeast Affiliated Businesses, Channels & Charity

  • MrBeast Burger: Local mom & pop restaurants can sign up to make them, and then they are delivered by 3rd party apps
    • Really helped some local restaurants in business shut-downs during COVID
  • Feastables MrBeast Bar: New semi-healthy chocolate bar with minimal ingredients
  • MrBeast Gaming: Expanding the competition from the main channel into the gaming community
  • Beast Reacts: Simply a reaction channel with yours truly, Mr. Beast
  • Beast Philanthropy: Non-profit organized to fight hunger
    • Basically, a logistics company distributes food to smaller communities that don’t have an established food pantry
    • The infrastructure supports high-quality goods, even refrigerated products
Joe Rogan Experience : , , , , , , , , , ,
Notes By Drew Waterstreet

More Notes on these topics

Top Insights and Tactics From

31 Best Podcasts of All Time

FREE when you join over 25,000 subscribers to the
Podcast Notes newsletter

No Thanks