Jesse Lawler: Host of another podcast focused on supplements and enhancing performance.
What is your community on Reddit all about?
- They give advice on body hacking from the neck up.
- They talk about bio hacking and things that can help your brain and body.
How did you get started?
- By profession as a software developer.
- A lot of people in Silicon Valley are into nootropics.
- It first started 10 years ago when he read an article about modafinil (Provigil) and how it could enhance cognitive performances.
What are the common things people are taking to have more energy?
- The first nootropics you hear about are for focus and energy.
- People want the effects of coffee without its downsides.
- Neurotransmitters are the key to having more energy.
- Adderall and Ritalin are also cognitive enhancers.
What drugs are you taking?
- Jesse has no interest in taking Adderall.
- He took Ritalin once but doesn’t want to take again.
- He takes modafinil and armodafinil (Nuvigial) on and off.
Have you experimented with L-theanine and caffeine?
- L-theanine is found in green tea.
- The pill form is better since they tested the optimal ratio of L-theanine and caffeine.
- He takes it to relax.
What are the compounds you experimented with?
- Any compounds with choline will give you energy and focus.
- Not many studies have been made on those compounds.
- The effects can vary on different people.
- For example, some people take caffeine and feel depressed and sleepy.
- His advice is to check the general studies for safety warnings and if it’s safe, try it and see if it’s working for you.
Have you tried MTC powder?
- He tried MTC but didn’t keep a ketogenic diet for more than a few months at a time.
- He does intermittent fasting instead.
- He gets his first meal at 4PM 6 days per week.
- He has a 7-hour eating window, so he’ll eat from 4PM to 11PM.
- He found that it makes him feel better because the low level ketosis triggers an increase in dopamine and serotonin.
What is your take on micro dosing of mushrooms and LSD?
- He spoke with James Fadiman who wrote The Psychedelic Explorer’s Guide.
- For most people those drugs are pretty safe.
- To micro dose LSD, you take 10 to 30 micrograms.
- It’s not meant to “trip out” but to work with a different perspective or mind set.
- Micro dosing is not something you can do day after day with the same dose.
- He suspects that having experience with recreational psychedelics would help you for micro dosing.
- It helps you remember the state of mind you were in when you were “tripping”.
- There are not enough studies made on this subject.
- Some are being made on people with PTSD, cancer or severe anxiety.
What are your thoughts on meditation?
- It’s hard.
- Studies were made to show positive brain changes from long-term meditation.
- The brain gains gray matter.
- He meditates 2 out of 3 days.
- If you are “awaken” at the wrong time with transcendental meditation it can a few hours to recover.
- Wim Hof method is a type of breathwork that can put you in a weird state of mind.
- You take 30 deep fast breaths. Hold your last breath for as long as you can. Then you take another breath and hold it in. Repeat this process for 4 rounds.
- Great start for a meditation session.
- Holotropic breathwork is controlled hyperventilation with music.
- Feels like you’re drowning.
- It’s basically matching deep breaths with the drumbeat.
- It can cause visual hallucination and out-of-body experience.
- Getting out of it is like waking up from a dream.
- It can even feel like DMT trip.
- DMT is produced naturally in the human body by the lungs.
- It’s like a consciousness thermostat.
- Try many things and see what works for you.
His experiment with long term fasting.
- It an experiment of his will power.
- He does a 1 week water fast every year.
- He wants to do it quarterly.
- It becomes easier the more you do it.
- He noticed a serotonin high and a high level ketosis.
What does your medicine cabinet look like?
- He recommends fish oil and omega-3 fatty acids (Nordic Naturals are recommended by Dr. Rhonda Patrick – referred to frequently by Kevin).
- It can make people bounce back from brain injury.
- He takes vitamin D3 (Swanson brand recommended by Dr. Patrick)
- Bacopa monnieri is an herb from India and helps with memory.
- Nexis, which contains Aniracetam, CDP-choline, pycnogenol and phosphatidylsérine.
- Vitamin B1 and PQQ can help the mitochondria and energy levels.
- He doesn’t take the same thing everyday.